Friday, January 20, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting:Mercury Marquis








Once again, this is from the archives; only now did I realize I didn't take any pictures of the rear end. Silly me. As I used to, Ii shot this car while focusing on quantity not quality, so I probably took a grand total of 45 seconds shooting these pictures. Shame, really, because this looks like such a clean example of not-often seen vehicle. I've blogged these fullsized Fords and Mercurys before, but I don't think I've seen a Marquis this clean--ever.
Spotted along Lake Street, this beast used to be a vibrant member of the Uptown old car community. I used to see it daily; sitting in front of the Wendys near K-Mart, parked outside McDonalds on Hennepin, and even sometimes parked outside Cheapos, this thing used to be a daily spot. Not anymore, though. One day, it simply vanished. But not before I got these (now, halfassed) pictures. Old cars like this capture my attention; I admit I'm not quite up on my 1970s cars info, but I do like the styling of these old FoMoCos better than their GM counterparts. While most people pick a side, I tend to jump back and forth depending on car and model year.
Back to this car, though. From across the street, it looks great! No obvious rust, not a spec of bondo, and the hubcaps are still shiny. Cars of this era fall into three categories-- original/well kept/restored, blinged, or just downright beaters. Clearly, this falls into the first category. Before seeing this one, I didn't think any these 1970s FoMoCos except a scant few survived life past the age of demolition derby condition. Clearly I was wrong. While I don't know the history of this clean sedan, I do remember seeing an older couple at the helm. I hope the owner hasn't passed on for whatever reason. I miss seeing this thing! Here's hoping the owner (as well as the car) is in good health!

No comments: