Monday, January 9, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Grand Prix











For some reason or another, I've got an awesome collection of 1960s-vintage Pontiacs in my archive that I haven't posted yet, and this Grand Prix seems to fit the 'what-should-I-post?' bill pretty well; it's not often I run across any Grand Prix older than about 1977 here in Minnesota. Usually when I see one, it's either at a car show and modified, or restored and hustling along Lake Street instead of parked streetside.
This car is third in a set of four classic Pontiacs I have archived; this example was first spotted driving back in summer 2009, and back then, I didn't have the courage to go into the neighborhood it lived in, so I thought I'd never see it again; I honestly figured since this is the rustbelt, I'd likely never see this classic Poncho again.
Fast forward almost a year later, and it struck again! This time, I was lucky. I pulled out my camera, and let the pictures commence. I was lucky, for sure. Not less than about five minutes after I got done shooting this big boat, the owner came out of Dunn Bros and hopped in. Despite the "neglected" appearance, this example sounded and ran absolutely beautiful; if you're good with cars, you can pick out an easy clue on the license plate. 3X2S suggests that this brute is powered by three two-barrel carbs, effectively called "Tri-Power" in Pontiac speak. Certainly, having a 389 with just over 300 horses was nothing to sneeze at. Certainly, the optional 421 was a bigger engine, but due its restrictive carb, it only managed to cough up 320 horses. Other options on this big Pontiac included a race-ready 421 Cuber that whomped out 405 horses; clearly, it was a dragstrip king, not unlike the more pedestrian Tri-Power version. While it does look to be in rough shape, only the fender shows physical damage. Other than that minor niggle, this old Grand Prix is squeaky clean; it even rocks the steelies like it did new.
In 2009, with Pontiac 's passing, their cars started to gain more enthusiast following. Despite recent "love" from classic and muscle car aficionados, I still haven't seen many classic "Tin-Indians" saved or preying on other classics in this city; I think it's time to change that. With the abandoned Bonneville, and nearby LeMans 326, I can at least have some faith that this particular Grand Prix is at least driven. I only wish more classic Pontiacs were so instead of left to rot near decrepit buildings that litter Minneapolis.

No comments: