Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hendersonville Street Sighting: Buick LeSabre











I usually tend to shoot cars wherever my travels take me; sometimes it's in quaint little neighborhoods of bigger cities, or sometimes, I happen to catch something even in the tiniest area poking through a bunch of trees along a state highway. My grandma used to live in Hendersonville, North Carolina for short stint before she decided to move back to her Kansas home. In the winter of 2009, she invited me down for a few days; I gladly accepted. I understood that there were classic cars down here, but I was also aware that she didn't quite have the same viewpoint as shooting that I did. I basically had to explain to her that it was not illegal, and that I wasn't breaching any privacy rights by shooting cars on the street.
Hendersonville, North Carolina is a quiet town; most of the same cars are spotted throughout the day, suggesting that the residents of the community are rather tight-knit. As with other small towns, older cars are plentiful out east. Most of the vehicles I did see tended to be in this shape, too. All original, and very nicely kept. While donking and hi-riding is sort of prevalent on the Eastern coast, I didn't see a one.
That's good, because the lack of donks made it that much easier to spot potential blog candidates. Ironically, out of all the iron I did see, what I finally snapped was another Buick. No big deal, right? Well, maybe not if you're used to seeing 1969-1970 LeSabres in mint condition. Clearly, I have not seen them in mint condition; heck, this may be the first one I have seen and shot in this great of detail.
The LeSabre was Buick's midsize pricier family sedan, a cheaper alternative to a Park Avenue if you will. People who wanted an Oldsmobile 88 often cross-shopped it with the midsize Buick. Up until 2005, the LeSabre was a mainstay in the Buick lineup, offering midpriced Buick luxury on par with corporate cousin Oldsmobile. In the 1960s, styling between the brands was different enough to attract different types of buyers. By the 1980s, the two brands had relatively similar styling, so rather than be a style choice, the difference between the two brands came down to preference.
With most cars, I didn't get to talk to the owner of this impeccable Buick, but I would venture to say this clean old car doesn't get driven much, and when it does, its likely just around town; to the store and back, or to church and back perhaps. Scoping out this particular car, I drew up a few easy conclusions; this car was bought locally, at the dealership in the background of the photos, and judging by how well it's been kept, it is likely an original owner vehicle. As with most babied classics, this clean LeSabre shows no signs of ever being abused. The exterior looked downright fantastic; paint had shine, chrome appeared to be in quite the best shape I've seen this side of a car show, and the cool-looking 1960s era hubcaps were all intact, and dirt-free. To see a Buick of this vintage that hasn't had customizing in some way is actually pretty pleasing. I've honestly never seen one as nice as this one, and because I live in the rustbelt, I doubt I ever will again.

No comments: