Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lawrence Street Sighting: Chrysler New Yorker Brougham












I grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, and I still go back there quite a bit to visit my dad. During my visits, I take time to walk around the city scouting out iron I somehow missed my previous trip. Every so often, I run into a few new birds (aka cars I haven't seen before), and this New Yorker is such. Odd that I've never seen this car before, but not quite so, because I rarely venture into this neighborhood.
Tucked on a side street just off 23rd, this big Chrysler looked lonely parked out front of a seemingly vacant house on a quiet street. Although it was early morning, I would've expected some kind of life for this part of town. Maybe not, though.
Unlike the few Camries and other beige-mobiles that littered this near-car-less neighborhood, this old New Yorker certain displays a swagger not often seen among today's cars. Be it the intricate badging, or the full-cover wheel-covers fitted under the rear fenderskirts, or the detail-rich hood ornament, this 1970s barge oozes class and luxury in a way no current Chrysler product can do.
Fitted with a padded roof, and a trunk bigger than Rhode Island, this big boat definitely shows other road users who's boss; it might even be enough to scare Cadillacs and Lincolns. Have no fear, though, this won't hurt them--it'll just make said owners wish they got a proper luxury car. Really, though, the New Yorker (of this vintage) is to the Town Car and Sedan Deville what the current 300 Series is to the CTS and MKZ--except likes its modern cousins, the old luxury cars had a serious panache that new ones simply can't match. I don't quite think we'll see people fawning over a 300C or MKZ in thirty years time.
While I do quite admire this example of one of Chrysler more luxrious cars, this Kansas cars seems to wear its age well. Caked only in what I could best describe as "summer dust metallic", this poor car looks like it sits outside more than it gets driven. Shame, really, because even though it isn't a 'driver's car', it certainly deserves to do much more than simply sit in front of the owner's residence and collect dust.

No comments: