Friday, January 13, 2012

Lawrence Street Sighting: Ford Maverick










I can't believe it! Out of my whole entire history here, I haven't once featured a car I care so much about! It all started when I was twelve. My mom and her partner had a farm, and her partner had an old car. It was supposed to be a "project" apparently, that I would learn how to take care of cars on. Finished in light blue, with a faded (and coming apart completely) dark blue vinyl roof, that 1973 Maverick was sort of my first "hands on" experience with cars. The first thing I learned how to do was properly clean the hubcaps, and I practiced cleaning the seats with cleaner, and polished and Armor-Alled the dash and steering wheel. While I was kid, I thought that was awesomme. Now, looking back on it, it still was; although, back then I had no idea that said Maverick would never move much after it was barn-stored.
Fast forward a year, and my respect and knowledge of the Maverick/Comet has grown tremendously since I was twelve. I am able to pick them out in a crowd, and almost every one I see results in either a double take, or a closer inspection. Over my lifetime, I have seen more sedans than coupes, so it seems fitting that the first of many Mavericks I feature would be a coupe, no?
Like most Kansas cars, this one exhibits no rust, and appears to have been babied; Quite odd that is, because last time I checked, Mavericks weren't exactly collectible cars all across the board; however, they do have their fair share of fans, and with baby-Mustang looks, its inevitable. The Maverick (as well as the Pinto) represents a specific where family styling works quite well across the board. The Mustang/Pinto/Maverick all looked great. Much the same can be said for cross-town rival Chevrolet, and their whole Vega/Monza/Camaro boys.
This specimen of Ford's semi-compact rear-wheel-drive car was immaculate; from the period bronze/brown metallic, to the factory fresh-looking hubcaps, this thing was mint. I don't think I've ever seen one looking so nice that wasn't hot-rodded or modded in any way, shape, or form. Like most of the well-kept cars I feature, this clean Mav still had its original dealer plaque on the trunk letting passers-by know where it was purchased some thirty or forty years prior.
Judging by the obviously awesome condition, and the lack of modifications performance or otherwise, I am willing to bet this car has only had one owner, and was likely bought new and stayed in Kansas its whole life. As a huge performance nut, I would usually say "do a couple performance mods here and there" and maybe "get beefier tires", but not here. Despite it being a cliche 1970s Ford color, I would most definitely leave this Maverick as-is. You just don't see them like this anymore.

No comments: