Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue










Chrysler New Yorker; the name brings up full-size cars laden with rich leather upholstery and padded roofs, no? Correct! Eight cylinder engines that guzzle gas and a traditional rear-wheel-drive configuration are also staples of this iconic nameplate, too, right? On this example, you'd be wrong--very wrong. In 1990, the Chrysler Fifth Avenue returned as a more luxurious edition of the Chrysler New Yorker. Unlike its previous namesake, this new car was downsized greatly, but also favored six cylinder power over the V8s of yesteryear. One would believe that gas mileage improved drastically, but apparently that wasn't the case. On motorweek's initial test, the car returned 19 MPG mixed driving. Not terrible, but I would expect slightly better mileage from a V6. But who am I to complain? I've always secretly liked these cars, and I honestly think I secretly like their cousin, the Dynasty, as well.
For a seemingly mundane luxury car, this one certainly has aged rather well. Not a dot of rust ruins the paintwork, and even the vinyl roof hasn't been weathered to bits yet. I think my favorite part of this example is the monochromatic paintwork and matching vinyl roof itself. These cars definitely do look better in darker colors, and I've always been partial to shades of reds and blue, versus black and white. I think the maroon color suits this twenty year old Chrysler fairly well, as I couldn't picture it another color.
Well kept, and a not-often seen car, I would most definitely sport this--even with the "crappy Chrysler" stigma that plagued these things when new. I would certainly take this over an LH car...well, not over a two-tone Intrepid ES. Did I just say that?

No comments: