Saturday, January 7, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Nova sedan









I don't see too many Chevrolet sedans from the past; most of what I see here in terms of GM's most popular brand consists of Cavaliers, and maybe the odd clean Caprice and perhaps a Corsica or two. Because I live in the land'o'rust, mainstream vehicles made before 1980 are very scarce here, even in "project car" condition. I normally don't look twice at normal cars of yesteryear (well, okay, 30 years ago), but I just couldn't pass up this little Nova.
When a normal car enthusiast thinks of the term "Nova", they think of raked, early 1970s examples sporting some shade of metallic paint and reverse-dish Cragars, either with a slight cowl, or a blower sticking out of the hood. Not me, though; to me, the term "Nova" means a sedan, much like this one" that served as a getaway car to bank robbers, as a car that a lady used to take her kids to school, as that lady's son's first car. Maybe I've watched too many crime docudramas, but I could easily picture this car being used in a series of bank and grocery store robberies throughout the Midwest in the early 1980s.
Back to this car now. The paint is in rather good shape, especially for a Minnesota vehicle. Being more thirty years old, the vehicle is not perfect per se, but it does make a very, very nice driver. Being a black vehicle with basic hubcaps leads me to suggest this was very likely either a former rental car, or a deeply discounted new car, and thus, is likely a six-cylinder car. That's perfectly fine because not every Chevy needs a hi-po V8 that's only good for going in a straight line. While certainly not a handling machine, a basic Nova four door needn't be. I would imagine even with six cylinders of (not very much) fury, this little car did its family chores quite well. And, really, for a basic four door, that's all an owner car ask.
I quite like that this isn't a cliched raked, two door, nor does it have the 1970s-era pearl/bass boat paint that many hot-rodded examples wear. I would drive it as-is in its current state; I even like the stock hubcaps!

No comments: