Sunday, January 22, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Willys Wagon








This vehicle is again, another from the archives; not so much for the quantity of the pictures, but as one can see, the pictures aren't that great. I think I shot this my first summer with my DSLR. I've shot a Willys wagon before, and I know there's at least one other one roaming my area, but I desperately need to find it sitting still; I've only seen it moving.
This example of a bygone workhorse leaves me filled with mixed emotions-- for a few reasons. Yes, the condition is stunning, but the quality of the work seems a bit.. not half-assed but there's something about it that doesn't seem right. The finish doesn't quite have the luster a restored vehicle should have. The second reason this big truck (well, not as big as it should be) leave me confused is the ride height. It appears that whoever owns this example has lowered it, making the "4 Wheel Drive" badge almost redundant. I sure as hell hope he doesn't plan to do any off-roading on those (relatively) tiny tires. Lastly-- the wheels. Who the heck puts cheapass American Racing wheels on a vehicle that packs as much heritage is this one once did. I could see, maybe, some white steelies, or period wheels.. but these? These look better suited to some dumbass' lowered Ranger or something.
Negativity aside, I was surprised to see this one, especially considering the other one I shot was in drastically horrible condition compared to this. Do I have any regrets, despite my mixed emotions regarding the classic Willys? Absolutely not. I am proud of my sighting even if my camera at the time wasn't quite up to par.

No comments: