Friday, January 27, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: VW Type 2 Bus












Contrary to yesterday's haphazardly terrible example, this example represents one of the nicer VW products I've seen in a while. Some may argue that this VW van is very cliche-- and I won't deny that. I like it, though. It's a cliche color combination, has "trendy" cool stickers taking up half of the glass space, and it is lowered to the point of no return, but that's alright with me. I've always liked European vehicles, especially when modified correctly.
In sharp contrast to yesterday's example, this version is not laden with rust or dents. However, for what it makes up for in that aspect of character, it lacks in originality. Thousands of VW vans across the country-- not to mention world--are modified in similar fashion. Why? Because it works. To a VW fan, this combination is like metallic paint and chrome Torq Thrusts are to a muscle car nut, or dark color with Volk TE37s and carbon pieces are to a tuner.
On this example, the EMPI wheels (at least I think that's what they are) work wonders over the stock steel wheels and dish hubcaps. While I do like the stockers, these wheels look fine here. The stickers are, again, another point for me. While I do like them, and it adds a bit of personality to this van, I realize most will find them quite tacky. But that's okay-- I've been told I have terrible modding taste when it comes to stickers and decals. Oh well.
All in all, I do quite like this example. Would I sport it on the daily? Probably not, but I'd definitely have a modified one or three in my collection. I would want one with something more than the stock powerplant though. Perhaps a Porsche 3.6, or even an EJ25T out of a Subaru 2.5RS would be sufficient. Just let mine have more power than stock.

No comments: