Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible











I tried to be nice with this one; as a general rule, I don't like many late '60s GM A-bodies, the side profile looks fine, but at both ends, the detailing and general aestheticness just looks terrible. I never quite liked the front end design much at all. To me, the simplified and slightly chunkier line of the post 1970 cars looks cleaner, and better. The styling on these is just too.. I don't know, cluttered? The horizontal turn signal looks stupid, and the non-split grill isn't very Oldsmobile-like in my opinion. Out back, which I didn't get pictures of, are these awful, gunslit taillights which look far too small be good for anything other than a nightlight. I suppose that's okay, because it allows this generation to be easily rear-ended. Alright, maybe that was a bit too harsh. Not to shit all over this guy's parade, but I don't like the 1968-1969 Cutlass much at all; never have, really.
Nevertheless, this example is a tidy one. Despite being a bodystyle I don't much care for, I don't blame the guy for taking care of it. Maybe lots of people thought these were ugly; I see the 1970-1972 cars quite a bit more, be it at car shows, or simply just driving around.
While I am no fan of these by any means, I certainly applaud the owner for taking care of his like he has. It doesn't show any degree of wear-- not even a touchup of bondo to be found; even all the correct trim is in place! I would be greatly more appreciative if this was a Viking blue 1970 model, but hey, I can't have everything. As it stands, this is a very nice example of one Oldsmobile's least correctly styled cars.

No comments: