Thursday, January 26, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: VW Type 2 Bus















Old VWs are not common here at all; they rust out amazingly quick. These example is clearly no different. When I first spotted this beast earlier in the summer of 2011, I only had a brief look at it. Luckily, I hit an amazing day this fall that netted me four or five different cars, and this tired VW was one of those cars.
Sitting in the parking lot of one of Uptown's newest apartment/living areas, this Type 2 was all alone in its spot. I could quickly say that other cars didn't want to be near it for they would catch the rust bug that plagued this example of a once-awesome utility vehicle. From a distance, this cult classic certainly looked pretty decent to the untrained eye. Up close.. oh boy.
Rust literally is eating this poor van alive. I don't think this thing had one straight panel on it. The doors, the tailgate/hatch, the bumpers, even the wheels. Rust was everywhere and sadly that wasn't all that surprising. What is surprising is that shortly after I shot this wretched example of such an iconic vehicle, it was moving under its own power-- on the highway. Kind scary, when you think about it. I don't think they could comfortably do highway speeds when they were new. I shudder to think how this one behaves in traffic, much less on the highway.
While I am quite sad with the van's condition, if there's one thing I do like about this exampe is the color combination. Red and white just works. Obviously, I would fix it up if I could, but judging by the copious amounts of terminal cancer, this van is likely only good for salvaging interior parts from. Otherwise, and I rarely see this-- its only good for crusher fodder. Seriously, I have seen nicer examples in U-Pull-It-- and that says something.

No comments: