Saturday, January 21, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Delta 88











Please excuse the lousy picture quality, and lighting; this is another vehicle from my "quantity > quality" days. Spotted probably in winter of 2008 or early 2009, this particular Olds used to be a quite a staple near MCTC. Okay, so it probably wasn't all that special, honestly. I did see it daily (or at least whenever I had class), so I figured I'd come to campus early and shoot it. Good thing I did, because it hasn't been spotted since the winter I took these photos.
As one can tell from the "Baby on Board" sticker in the rearmost glass, this old boat was likely someone's daily driver. While it isn't the best choice as far as gas mileage goes, just a few years ago, older vehicles were just cheap transport. Now, though, this car would be prime "donk ryder" fodder; it's got RWD, and it's a "big body." Just they combination that they lust after; I don't think they'd be wetting themselves over this one, though.
While the paint was pretty good, especially for a vehicle of this vintage, it definitely showed obvious signs of "daily driver syndrome." Rust didn't hide itself, leading me to believe this vehicle did double duty as a daily driver and a winter beater. Honestly, to most people, that's all an older car ever was supposed to be.
And here's why it saddens me. Most cars don't live past the daily driver stage; I do realize that's normal, but as these older cars die and most modern cars become "older", I will have lost interest in shooting. Why? Because most cars most after 1990 don't really excite the way cars like this do. Yes, I know that an Oldsmobile Delta 88 (especially this generation) will never be looked upon as truly wonderful collector car, but that's why it interested me enough to shoot it. It just isn't a car one sees everyday.

No comments: