Thursday, January 19, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Mercury Cougar









This one is from the archives; I realize the pictures aren't quite up to par with what I shoot now. The car, on the other hand... I have always had a thing for first generation Cougars. While not quite as popular as Mustangs, I think the Cougars tended to look better with the right colors and options. Originally conceived as a Mustang-twin from the outset, the Cougar shifted towards luxury status and eventually moved to the Thunderbird bodystyle in 1971, where it stayed until it was discontinued in 1997.In 2002, the nameplate returned on a European flavored sport compact as a replacement for the Ford Probe; unlike the Mustang/Thunderbird twin, the sport compact didn't sell very well and was dropped after three model years.
I shot this example in a part of town I frequent quite a bit; I have a friend that lives in this area, so in the summer, I ride through quite a bit. Despite shooting this car about three years ago, I have never seen it before or since. I'm curious to what's happened to it, because as far as I know, it hasn't shown up in U-Pull-It's inventory, Maybe it was restored, or maybe it's just been in storage? Who knows?
This car looked pretty good on the outside; yes, the paint is a bit iffy, but all the trim and badges are there, and in decently good nick. While I question the black trunk and taillight filler panels, rust probably ate away at the original or perhaps it was in an accident early on. Normally I favor stock wheels on classic cars, but damn if these mags don't look badass. I love how this example sits; I wouldn't change a thing. Only thing I would maybe do (and that's a very strong maybe) is add a side exhaust and a rake to complete that "modded in 1977" look. Then, I'd most definitely rock it. Even as it is, I'd rock it. Gimme an empty parking lot, and I'll show you some 'Driver' esque moves.

No comments: