Monday, January 23, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Jeep Cherokee two door









As I've explained before, older trucks and proper SUVs are not exactly uncommon here in the rust belt; what is uncommon however, is for said vehicles to be in decent condition. Usually, in the event that I do spot an older truck, it's likely one of the " big-three"; never, a cool classic Jeep.
I got lucky here; I volunteered at a nursing home about a mile from my house, regularly, and as such, I would often venture into the accompanying neighborhood to go shooting. Most of the time, these adventures would net much such excitingness as a bumperless GM N-body, or perhaps if I 'scored', so to speak, perhaps a rust-free box Caprice that hasn't got the bling treatment yet. What we have here is a level of awesomeness that this neighborhood hasn't quite seen until that badass Kaiser I posted earlier last fall.
The Jeep Cherokee from 1984 to 1996 has always been one of my favorite utilitarian SUVs, so it only makes sense I would like its predecessor, right? Well, to be fair, I love its predecessor. Usually, I associate this bodystyle with the Wagoneer name, but Cherokees were made, too. Whereas the Wagoneer was more aimed at luxury-oriented buyers, the Cherokee was a the "budget" Jeep, a role which it played till its demise at the end of 2001, when it was replaced by the Liberty. In 1974, when this particular bodystyle was born, it won its first of many accolades; Four Wheeler's "Four Wheeler of the Year" award. In 1977, due to growing popularity, a four-door wagon was added, and Jeep knew they had a hit on their hands. By contrast, the Bronco didn't have a four door yet, and the S-10 Blazer four door wouldn't come till 1991. What's sad is that, while this vehicle was really the start of the Cherokee heritage, not many of this generation are preserved, especially out in the Midwest.
This example looked relatively mint, considering how often vehicles pretty much rust right through; not a hair of surface rust on this example and that's definitely a good thing. The paint, aside from being faded with age, was remarkable damage-free. Ditto the wheels--which may actually be from a different vehicle, though I'm not positive. Even the factory "Cherokee", "AMC" and "Four Wheel Drive" badges remain intact, and relatively wear free. I don't know that I'd call this a time capsule piece, but if anything it's a well looked after rare slice of four-wheel-drive history. I'd gladly drive it, though due to its rarity I don't think I'd do any serious wheeling in it.

No comments: