Monday, January 16, 2012

Fletcher Street Sighting: Jeep Wagoneer








While I did a fair share of shooting in that little North Carolina town, I (mostly my grandma) didn't feel comfortable shooting many cars on the street. While she complained mostly about how that area is dangerous (I didn't think it was, really), I did manage to shoot a scant two cars. The first you saw earlier. And because trucks were plentiful, I had quite a few to choose from. While I previously showed my pick for coolest car I was able to photograph, this Wagoneer represents my truck choice.
First rolled out in 1963, the Wagoneer was AMCs idea of a "go anywhere utility wagon"; while at first, the idea seemed relatively hit or miss, not less than 10 years later, the idea would catch on full swing. When the Range Rover series debuted in Europe in 1970, the idea of a luxury SUV was born; competition in the United State was very slim, until the Range Rover hit our shores, soon followed by mass imports of the Mercedes G-Wagen. Though not as pricey as its two European competitors, the Wagoneer developed a strong following of its own, and rightfully so. With the second generation Grand Wagoneers with wood trim, and amenities such as aluminum wheels, leather, and power everything, sales really took off. Sadly, in 1991, the legendary line of fine luxury trucks would be shut down for good. Despite being absent for almost twenty two years, sources say the Grand Wagoneer nameplate will be back.
Like most older vehicles, this Wagoneer looked to be in daily driver condition. Paint was in decent shape, but could use a bit of freshening up; the badges, too, were in seemingly good condition, but would also benefit from a slight freshening. I didn't get to peek inside simply because I thought that would be weird, and I know my grandma would frown on it. Going off the body's condition alone, I would venture to say the interior is in the same "nice-but-used" condition. That's still better than half of the ones I see up here that are completely ruined both inside and out.
Would I sport this example? Absolutely. I have always loved this truck, since I was a kid. However, I am extremely partial to the 1980s examples, though I definitely would not turn this one down. It lacks the luxury features and a certain charm that made the 1980s models so irresistible, but I would still take one anyway. Just make sure it doesn't have any rust!

No comments: