Monday, January 2, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Citroen 2CV










By now, readers know that I enjoy quirky, offbeat cars as much as traditional American classics, and judging from all my different posts here, one would think that the Citroen 2CV is rather common. Not exactly so. While I have posted my fair of these quirky French classics, they're far from an everyday sighting; these cars are just too cool not to document every example I run across.
This particular car is one I've seen around Minneapolis a fair share of times, and I've 'car-stalked' it for about a year or two, at least. Ever since I first spotted it downtown near MCTC, I've been on the hunt. And here it is.
Obviously, this baby blue example is a daily driver, judging by how many times I've caught it driving around. It's quite rare that I'll see a car driving, and not try to track it down, but this is proof that persistence pays off. Big time.
Walking around this French classic, it's evident that it its history can be traced back to the 1930s-- and it can. The 2CV was originally conceived as a farmer's hauler that could carry his eggs across a field in the back seat, with a passenger up front. By no means are these luxury cars, though. With only two horses, (Deux Chevaux) the 2CV was far from fast-- or quick for that matter. Designed to be a rugged little workhorse in France and nothing more, their quirky styling and undeniable charm gained them a new following; cult following, even.
I realize I am probably one of very few people walking around who could name this car when pressed, but the hoards of people that gathered around this parked version gave me some hope when it came to others. Apparently, even though no one else knew exactly what it was, they were definitely curious. And far a huge car junky, that alone is a good sign. I just wish more and more people cared about interesting four-wheeled phenomenons to take notice and appreciate them.

1 comment:

Art Tidesco said...

Can't ever see enough of these, I had a blue one, older than the one seen here which looks like mid to late 80's, I believe mine ended up on the island of Malta.