Friday, January 6, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Plymouth Reliant K








I think I have obviously shattered my rule of "no modern cars", but honestly, I think the Chrysler K-car deserves at least some recognition. In the later 1970s, the Big Three were in the shitter, and Chrysler was suffering the most. At the helm of Lee Iaccoca, a new platform was being developed, and rather than underpin just one or two vehicles, this new platform would be the future of Chrysler. Forming a line of economy cars, midsize cars, and a new class of vehicle, the minivan, off of one platform would not be easy. Somehow, through vast amounts of financial support, Chrysler managed to pull it off.
Over the years, this platform endure facelifts, powerplant changes, and model name designations like no other; from woody wagons, to landau-topped two doors, the K Car was Chrysler's answer to the booming compact-midsize segment. Though I regularly see a few beat-up later model cars, I don't think I've ever run across such a clean example as this one-- and an early one to boot.
Obviously, the K-Car isn't exactly one of my favorite cars; honestly, its far from it. But I can't overlook its impact (for better or worse) on the American automotive landscape. For that reason alone, I deemed it blogworthy. In this condition, it most definitely is so. I don't think I'll ever see one this remarkably clean again. Ever. Well spotted, I say.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

I think it's ironic that the car that saved Chrysler then is also one of the prime reasons why people won't consider buying another Chrysler now.