Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Triumph TR4









As you can see, I've been on a sports car kick as of late, for good reason. I have always been a sucker for roadsters of yore, and with Minnesota's long, dreary winter starting, I won't see many of these puppies out on the road for a good few months or so, so I'm stocking up. As per the Triumph, I've been growing fonder and fonder of these little guys by the day; honestly, they mark a new turning point as far as my interest in cars goes. While I first took initial interest in the TR-6, I begun to show more interest in the brand as a whole, and I developed an interest in British sports cars as a whole.
The TR-4 carried the Triumph sporting legacy well into the mid 1960s, being used in a variety of races, SCCA and otherwise. Weghing in at a scant 2130 lbs, it appeared the Triumph believed the idea for a sporting driving experience was relatively little in the weight department, and a 4 spd stickshift to provide driving thrills. Ironically, despite being a British sports car, the US was Triumph's biggest market for TR4 sales. Out of over 40,000 cars built between in 1961 and 1965, less than 750 TR4s are still licensed in England. Here, the number definitely greater.
While I usually spot British cars at Quality Coaches, this lucky example was seen just parked in a little neighborhood a few blocks away from my house. Parked on a sidestreet, it was honestly a rather surprising find. I usually expect sidestreet to be home to decaying American classics, or maybe a rotten 1980s FWD car or two, but never a little sports car. I had to take a closer look.
This little roadster looked immaculate. From the glossy red paint, to the all white steel wheels with chrome hubcaps,this specimen was superb. Not a tear or wear spot disgraced the interior, even; clear evidence that whoever owns this awesome little roadster definitely takes amazingly good care of it. I don't blame them, I would too.
I know this is probably cliche by now, but I would most definitely sport this-- and I wouldn't change a single thing about it. It's probably one of the few cars I've blogged that I can outright say that I wouldn't change a thing about. I like this little British roadster just the way it is.

2 comments:

Jay Wollenweber said...

The couch pillows on top of the seats speak volumes about the car's ride. :P

Anonymous said...

The cars had larger-diameter chrome hubcaps than the Austin and Morris Minis, and additional chrome accents, bumper overriders and wood-veneer dashboards. Website