Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Caprice hearse







I have always had a fascination with hearse, for as long as I can remember; when I was about 3 or 4, I saw a Cadillac hearse in all black, and I think that's what did it for me. Ever since then, I have taken an extreme liking to hearses, and other odd variations of funeral cars. I like flower cars, too, especially Cadillacs. They're too common, though, so as result, I tend to have a greater appreciation for non-Cadillac funeral cars.
I present this Chevrolet Caprice "Eureka Versailles". I question the "Versailles" badge, however, and that "Eureka" nomenclature looks like it was stolen from either refrigerator, or a home vacuum cleaner. That being said, this is example is in iffy shape. On the surface, it looks to be in alright shape, but up close tells another story. The main blue paint is pretty nicely kept, and shows pretty much no evidence of hard use/daily use. Even the trim seems all intact and in great shape, especially for its age.
Where it goes wrong though, is the roof. I question the hue in which the roof is painted. For one, it doesn't quite look like a factory job; I imagine it used to be black or gray or some other formal color. Number two, aside from the atrocious paint choice, the paint itself looks hand-applied-- not very formal at all. Also, what's with the Cadillac crest on the hood? Does this have the wonderful triuumph of a V8-6-4 engine underhood? Or better yet, a Cadillac-sourced 305 or 350 diesel. Either way, I would hope not. As much as I dislike the 350 or 305, those two engines would be a better choice than the two "powerplants" I mentioned above.
All in all, I wouldn't drive this particular hearse. I like it fine, but there's too much going awry for me to love it. I do respect that the owner is attempting to save it from scrap, but honestly, the modifications/alterations said owner has made are terrible. Let's hope its next owner saves it from modifying hell.

No comments: