Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Bonneville








This car has an interesting story behind it; I've seen it sitting here for well over a year now, and each time I try to go and shoot, there's a lady in the apartment nearest the street who comes out and yells at me, and threatens to call the police. So, after about a year of waiting, I decided to try again. Welp,guess what? In the process, she came outside and proceeded to give me the rundown on why what I was doing was illegal (it clearly isn't), and asked what I planned to do with the pictures since it wasn't "my ol' school ass whip". To shut her up, I gave her a business card, which she said was "faker than a white boy president". No, I don't know what that means, and I didn't inquire. She seemed far too stupid to grasp even the most basic comprehension skills.
What I find interesting about this Bonneville is that it has up-to-date tabs, yet I've never once seen it move under its own power--ever. I've always seen it sitting in this same spot. I would go on to venture that it's abandoned, but knowing this area, for all I know, it isn't.
The paint on the old girl looks decent, especially considering the fact that it's been exposed to the elements for at least one rough winter; unlike most cars that just sit there, this example doesn't even have an trunk or roof surface rust--yet. It honestly looks mostly intact save for the missing hubcaps, which isn't too bad given its condition. Despite the off-color hood, this classic Poncho appears to have led a worry-free life and served its past owners quite well.
Upon research of the dealer plaque, it appears that Pentel Pontiac was in business from 1971 to 1981 at 5100 Excelsior Boulevard. In 1975, the dealer started carrying Fiat, and Alfa Romeo, and in 1981, the name was changed to Wilkins Pontiac Fiat, where to stood till 1993. Shortly after the dealership was demolished, construction began on an Urgent Care center. Not quite another car dealership, is it? Since the owner's son lives in the apartment where this was shot, and its been said he doesn't like driving, I am assuming he owns this car but just lets it sit there. Quite sad, really, because I think a car like this deserves a second chance. If the owner doesn't want it, he should sell it to someone who will save it. Just like that 326 LeMans, this big Ponch is too good to let die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool car, Crazy lady.