Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Bonneville convertible










Now this is an awesome sighting! I hardly ever see vintage Pontiacs, and usually when I do, they end up looking worse than that tired 326 LeMans I blogged earlier this winter. Fortunately, this car had all one could expect from a big cruiser of this period; lots of chrome, wire hubcaps, and a formal paint color. Perfect, I'd say.
The Bonneville was Pontiac's "luxury" vehicle from day one, for people who couldn't afford a Buick, much less a contemporary Cadillac, and it shows; big, bold styling, a lineup of big V8s, and a "who-cares" attitude when it came to gas mileage--isn't that what a luxury car is supposed to be about? Unfortunately, as time wore on, the focus of the Bonneville was shifted. In the 1980s, it became a FWD vehicle that, among other setbacks, wound up ultimately being a car largely favored by rental agencies a many.
Let's not get off focus, here. This example was quite stunning; the paint seemed to be in near-perfect shape, likewise the chrome. One thing that I liked about this pristine big boat was the fact that it still had the dealer plaque on the trunk, leading me to wonder if this was a meticulous restoration, or if it is an original owner un-restored example. I highly doubt the latter, but it would be really awesome if it was. Parked in uptown, this beast certainly stood out, and with good reason. Not often do I see a vehicle which looks as great up close as it does across the street. Well spotted, I say. And to the owner, please keep up this wonderful classic Pontiac!

No comments: