Sunday, December 25, 2011

Lawrence Street Sighting: Nissan 300ZX








As readers can tell, I am quite partial to Datsun's/Nissans Z car lineup. As with many cars, the newer they get, the worse they look-- kind of. To be honest, I'm a real fan of the 1980s Z31; I love it almost all of its guises, save for the ghastly 2+2. Adding wheelbase and "rear seats" to a classic sports car is a no-no. It didn't work for the earlier cars, and it definitely doesn't work with this generation. However, I have a tendency to adore to the non 2+2s with all my heart.
If one knows where to look, Lawrence still has quite a few Z Cars scattered about. Most are of the pre-300 days, and are in fairly poor shape. But, unlike Minnesota, Kansas Zs generally don't exhibit any rust, body or otherwise. I seldom see the older cars in Kansas, despite the no-rusting issue, so these Z31s are likely all I can shoot. That's no big deal, because these tie with the S130 as my favorites.
While I normally detest these wheels, I can't complain; they help give the car its factory look, which I greatly enjoy. The paint, too, is in remarkably great shape (as it should be with no rust), and even the badges appear to be in decent condition especially considering the age. The only thing I can really fault here is the front license plate mount, but I'm guessing this particular 300ZX wasn't bought in Kansas. As Z cars go, this example is quite tidy, and I think I would gladly drive this, despite my hatred for those wheels. What can I say, I'm a sucker for 1980s sports cars!

No comments: