Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lawrence Street Sighting: Ford F-100







When I go out shooting in Minnesota, I tend to find cars; in Kansas, that's not so. Most of my street sightings in Lawrence are trucks, take that as you will. From 1980s GM fullsizes that look nearly brand new, to 1950s Internationals wearing more surface rust than factory paint, Kansas is home to nearly all kinds of trucks, big and little, new and old.
Tucked away in Lawrence's vastly unique neighborhood lay some of the city's best kept automotive secrets. As with Minneapolis, older vehicles are found in droves off the main thoroughfares of this relatively quiet college town, especially in the summer. Home mostly to elderly people, and lower income families, the area of Lawrence near the river houses what may be the best selection of well-used classic vehicles in Douglas county this side of Ottawa.
While cruising around town with my dad on the hunt for what my hometown had to offer, I stopped dead in my tracks here. No, not because this generation is what I call "pretty", nor is this generation one of the more sought after by enthusiasts; I've just never really had the chance to look at one up close. Upon initial inspection, the truck appeared pretty clean, with normal wear and tear. As I crept closer, I noticed some rather spotty bodywork-- then it hit me. This olive color, while looking pretty good in this application, was a repaint. The rust on the fenders is exposed, and looks to be quite serious. On the hood, though, the repaint was glaringly obvious. There were spots where the current paint had flaked off in large quantities revealing the drab, tired red underneath. Because the badges and wheels appear to be in decent shape, I'm guessing this the work of a quite amateur restoration; it looks great from a distance, I won't lie.
It's a fine daily driver, and nothing more. I definitely would refrain from taking it to car shows, but having a truck this old surely would be a conversation starter among Ford truck enthusiasts, especially up in Minnesota. I'd drive it how it is, but if I had time and money, I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up. Currently, it looks like a Wheeler Dealer-esque build, but that's no bad thing. It just needs freshening up.

No comments: