Monday, December 5, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance











Most of the Cadillacs I tend to write about here are of the pre-1980 variety for several reasons; usually Cadillacs from 1961-1979 are cooler, have more artistic angles, and are honestly more interesting. That's not to say I would turn down a "modern vintage" Cadillac, and I sometimes don't. Yes, I do realize this basically bodystyle was around till 1992 with seemingly minor alterations here and there. But that's okay, because I really like this bodystyle. And Cadillac buyers did too, hence the twelve year shelf life.
This version is the Sedan deVille d'Elegance; it was positioned below the Fleetwood, but obviously higher than the "base" Sedan deVille. While the $1005 sticker price for the d'Elegance package doesn't seem like much, the car only cost $15,000 when new. The d'Elegance package was mainly decor such as a vinyl roof trim, and interior bits. Hardly what I'd call luxurious, even in the 1980s. These cars were equipped with either a Buick V6 (which was crap), the optional 4.1 V8 (which was crap), or the godawful V8-6-4 (which was crap.) I know it sounds like I'm lambasting the car here, and mechanically, I am. Cadillac buyers wanted luxury; and that they got. What I think of when I think luxury, is power too. Something most 1980s GM products (and cars in general) lacked. Yes, a V8 was available, but at 135 horsepower, it was nothing to write home about. I suspect even a diesel Mercedes was faster off the line.
That's not the point, though, and that's where these big boats shine. To own a Cadillac of this era, it says you want a semi-new looking vehicle, but you want style as well. Cadillacs of this era, much like their ancestors, will be considered classics. They're loved by every genre of car culture. The donk crowd likes the RWD and "big body"-ness of them, the lowrider crowd likes the upscale and "pimp" styling, and older folks like em because, well, they're Cadillacs-- and very formal. To people who grew up when I did, this bodystyle is the very definition of Cadillac. That alone is why I shot this car.

No comments: