Sunday, December 11, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible

















It's no secret that I do have a soft spot for certain generations of America's sports car. While I don't like it in every single iteration, there are a select few that I wouldn't hesitate to add to my collection, diecast or otherwise. I quite adore the C3s both in their earliest and latest forms. The C2 is a rare exception for the Corvette for me; I like it in almost all its iterations. The coupe (preferably the split-window) is my favorite by far, but the convertible is definitely a head turner as well. I'm going to be honest, I'm not much of a person when it comes to memorizing details on older cars quite yet. I had to check and see what year this one actually was. Based on the side scoops rather than three vents, I have determined this one to be a 1963, or 1964. And what a beauty it is!
I'm usually quite picky about colors and wheels; they often make or break a car for me. When one thinks of a red sports car, it sounds almost cliche; usually that phrase signifies a "meh" reaction coming up. Quite the opposite, actually. Sitting on Lake street, basking in the sun, this gorgeous near fifty year old classic drew my attention right away. I stopped, stared, and without hesitation tried for the best shots I could muster with the late summer afternoon traffic slowly taking its toll in my line of vision.
On the surface, this Stingray looked absolutely amazing; and rightly so. Either freshly restored, or positively babied, this example wouldn't look out of place at a prestigious classic car retailer. The finish was gorgeous, and like any Corvette, quality is key. Rather than go with the oh-so-common Chevy/Corvette Rallye wheels, the owner has chosen to stick with the factory hubcaps. To be honest, despite the contrary opinion, I think that was a wise choice. Nearly every single C2 I see is either wearing Chevy/Corvette Rallyes, or has been extensively modded with a non factory (and somtimes garish) set of rolling stock.
Inside, the story was no different. Like the gorgeous red exterior, this example's black interior sounds cliche, but it honestly works. I don't think I could see it with any other color for the interior. The gauges are all intact, and since this is a driver (in the summer anyway), they all function correctly. As with most classic sports car, this Corvette's interior is quite spartan, but it gets the job done. Obviously, since this Corvette is from a time when "power" was a luxury, pertaining to the interior, this example has manual windows, and probably locks as well. As with the outside, the interior's trim is quite nice as well. All the chrome is present, but also gleamed effortlessly in the sun-- something I can't say about too many of my blogshoots.
Do I know what powers this? Sadly, I do not. Since the 327 V8 was the only available engine, I would wager its a 327. Since the exterior, as well as interior, appear to be stock, the engine probably is too. With anywhere from 250 (god, I hope not) to 360 horses, you can bet this little red Corvette probably could roast its rear tires if its owner so desired. But, alas, the owner likely uses his amazing example of America's sports car as a summer cruiser. And that's just fine by me. Cruising is just one of this legend's characteristics. That's why its America's sports car.

No comments: