Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lawrence Street Sighting: Dodge Dodge D-200









While exploring my hometown and what it has to offer, I have come to the conclusion that while Chevy/GMC and Ford trucks are not really all that rare, Dodge trucks are. Whether its because the Dodge brand is an also-ran when it comes to truck sales, or its in part due to the quick rusting habits most Dodge pickups suffer from, they're certainly not common. I usually see the post 1972 models, so finding one older than that was quite a welcome surprise. To be honest, I have known of this trucks' existence since my childhood. I grew up with it in the neighborhood, but I had no idea it still existed.
On the surface, this truck is very clean, even for a Kansas truck; not one little speck of rust or other paint-ruiner dare grace the bodywork. In typical truck fashion, the shine of the once-metallic paint is long gone, but that's what happens when vehicles that receive daily use begin to age. And this one aged rather well. I would be shocked to see one in the condition here in Minnesota. Unlike most mid-to-late 1970s version of the venerable D-Series I see, this 1971 example sports all of its factory trim; hubcaps over steel wheels, the minimalist badging, and even the two-tone tan and brown paint is still recognizable. Surely, despite being a workhorse, the owner definitely looked after it-- and it shows.
From what I remember, this particular truck is owned by the same person since its original purchase. As he got older, he mainly drove around town, and if I recall right, he said he put only 6500 or so miles on it in the last 10 years. He mainly uses it to drive to the grocery store, or downtown to go get his haircut. Talk about a local truck! As with many vintage vehicles, I appreciate the stories behind them, and this D-200 is clearly no exception. I can only hope the owner has many more memories in this old Dodge; it sounds like he needs the truck like the truck needs him.

No comments: