Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Sedan deVille














Like yesterday's post, this is another example of Caddy's famous Sedan deVille. Unlike yesterday's example, this particular bodystyle isn't the most loved-- by anyone, really. The mid 1970s were a bleak time for car design, Cadillac included. While the traditional Cadillac styling does emerge, the proportions at which it does so are far from elegant. I quite like the front end on these, ditto the rear. The roof, though, seems to be off. When one thinks Cadillac, they think elegance, from grille to taillights. The roofline on this example is purely just a GM grab-bag mistake, surely. I expected all Cadillacs to flow, if you will. This one doesn't.
Caked in a purely 1970s color that can best be described as burnt orange,this tired barge clearly has seen better days; the paint is well-worn, the chrome is heavily pitted (but still relatively straight), and at least the hubcaps are still on it. That's where my love for it ends. I am a Cadillac fan through and through, moreso than Lincoln I think. I never liked this year, and I honestly don't care for many of the 1973-1979 cars; they just look too.. it's almost like they were stretched and skewed by hand before being rushed to the showroom.
Not that I wouldn't drive one, however. I probably would, it just wouldn't be by choice. I'd rather have a 1969 or 1970 example, or a 1964. As it is, this 1975 (or 1976) is kind of homely; to me, it doesn't quite deserve to wear the same wreath and crest that a '64 Fleetwood does. Kind of like the 1980s Eldorado not deserving to wear the same nameplate as a the pre-1978 cars. It just doesn't seem right.

No comments: