Saturday, December 24, 2011

Lawrence Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham








By now, you've seen Lawrence's truck collection, now let's focus on some cars. I have a passion for Oldsmobile, at least until the mid-1980s, and the Cutlass is one of my favorite line of cars anyway, so it's only natural, right? Normally, I'd pine for the 1970-1972 models, but since I live in rustbelt-hell, seeing a pre-FWD Cutlass is a treat for me. Yes, I know they're more common in most other places in the US, but in the Midwest, they're nearly extinct. Even moreso in pre-1982 guise.
Apart from the sole example I saw in my hometown, this generation is seldom seen, stock or otherwise. While I quite prefer the post-1982 with the "areo" front end, I think the first iteration of this generation does look quite nice in its own right, though it's not exactly something I would covet, much less drive. I just don't think these look all that nice when modified in any form.
This example is a 1979 model, because it has single front headlamps and no taillight rockets. Being a Brougham, it most likely is not a V8, but I don't quite care. Most people who initially bought these cars cared more about the luxury than muscle, in the first place. Equipped with engines ranging from a 231 V6 to the typical GM-standard 350 V8, this personal luxury coupe could be had with a wide range of powertrains, including two horrendous diesels, both hastily adapted from GM's gas V8 stable. As a result, the diesels are extremely hard to find as most have been converted back to gas engines; that switch honestly probably produced the same mileage as the diesels, given the time's extremely piss-poor technology. I would say, if you really yearn for a piece of long-forgotten Oldsmobile history, go ahead and buy a diesel, but don't expect to see its value skyrocket over time.
I would drive this example; a worry I have though, even though its a Kansas car, is rust. Lots of it. Despite using less salt than Minnesota, these GM G-Bodies weren't the most rust-proof cars around. Even in the drier states, it seems like these cars are susceptible to quarter panel and door rust. While it doesn't show any signs on the surface, I wouldn't be surprised if it lurks. I'd probably give this car a clean once-over, and have it looked at thoroughly. I've always loved G-Bodies, but this particular bodystyle isn't quite my favorite.

No comments: