Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lawrence Street Sighting: GMC 1500 V8








By now, you've discovered that most of the vehicles I deem blogworthy in my hometown tend to be pickup trucks; there's quite a few still roaming around, but I chose the most interesting ones to blog. As with yesterday's post, this pickup is domestic as well.
Even now, GM has a strong threshold on the pickup truck market, but look back forty years, and their trucks had even more prevalence than they do now. Granted, there weren't as many cab choices and upholstery choices available, but then again trucks weren't festooned with bells and whistles either. Since this GMC was just labeled as a 1500 V8, I'll venture to say this model is a 1967 to 1970 model, which sounds about right. Like many other GMs of its vintage, this particular truck has a daily driver vibe that certainly fits; it's definitely not a regal mode of transportation-- it never was-- nor would I expect its owner to be very cavalier. As with the Dodge I posted yesterday, this example is quite a celebrity in my town. After the microburst hit, the owner of the GMC helped remove debris from the storm, including a bunch of astroturf.
Obviously, this has seen its fair share of weather-- and it shows. Paint is definitely faded, rust is eating away at this like it's a vintage Corolla, and those godawful white "trailer" wheels sure aren't helping. Yeah, they're period like this color combo, but still. At least the chrome on this example is relatively straight. That said, I would probably drive it, but not unless the cows come home first. I like it, but not that much. If I had a choice, I'd try to find a cleaner model, but even in Kansas, that proves to be quite a difficult task.

No comments: