Thursday, December 1, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Porsche 944S








Yesterday, I posted the 924, which was the predecessor to this car. Unlike the 924 I posted, this particular "classic Porsche" seems to be in slightly better condition that its predecessor. Not by much, but at least--judging from the collector plate anyway-- this one is owned by an enthusiast.
When most Porsche enthusiasts bring up the 944, they talk about it in terms of a good track car due to its relatively sprightly performance compared to the 924, and its almost equal weight balance. This, combined with a shift-yourself transmission is said to make a great combination for autocrossers, road racers, or Porschophiles who want a "cheap toy".
To me, the 944 is still a variation of the 924, take that as you will. I know it's supposedly a different car mechanically, and I know it does have more power. I just like the "pure" cleaner, slimmer lines of the 924 a little bit more. If there's one 944 I truly love, it's the 944 Turbo, or the 951 as its commonly known in the Porsche circle.
As far as 944s go, this one is in alright shape. While I would've posted a cleaner one, I have not found one ever or since. The paint on this example is not horrible, but it surely isn't "show car" status. While it does suffer from fade, and general lack of a thorough shine, this is nothing that probably couldn't be buffed out. Thankfully this example has not fallen victim to the common Porsche wheelwell rust, which can be a major problem if one's not careful with caring for their prized possession. As with the 924 I posted, I am not quite a fan of the wheels on this one. Again, I know they're quite cliche, but I would like to see the teledials on this one too.
I respect the owner for caring enough about a "forgotten" Porsche enough to put collector plates on it. Now only if he would baby the rest of the car, and return to its former glory. Well, as much glory as a 944 has, anyway.

No comments: