Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Diecast of the Day: Maisto Chevrolet SSR














So, as you may know, I used to photograph my diecast collection; I sort of got out of the habit, and I got lost in real car shooting. I have decided to return to diecast shooting, but since I don't have very much in the way of new stuff, I will post sparingly until new stuff comes along.
I've had this Maisto Chevrolet SSR for about.. maybe close to ten years now, and it shows. Like a typical Maisto, it has sagging suspension syndrome, mainly from sitting on my shelf collecting dust for ages upon ages. Besides the obvious sagging suspension, this Maisto clearly has other quality problems that have shown up with age. First, despite the roof being off for my pictures, it wasn't inteded to come off-- the glue/mounts broke with age. If you can tell in my pictures, the driver's door is a bit crooked. Yep, this, too, has broken with age. The door can actually come off, and if I wanted, I could set the door beside the car if I so chose.
While it sounds like I'm berating this poor Maisto, I'm honestly not; it's survived my childhood, which is saying quite a bit. I used to play with my 1:18s like they were HotWheels. Rolled across my bedroom into the wall, driven into the bathroom and bathtub, and even played with outside, my models went through a devastating pattern of repeated abuse. I have maybe three or four surviving 1:18s from this era of my life, and surprisingly, most are in better condition.
I've heard Maisto has some quality problems now (watch for my E-Class taxi post), but this is ridiculous. I guess it's understandable that a $20 (at the time) diecast would show this much wear and tear despite sitting on a shelf, but at the same time, I have had Bburagos that looked better than this after more time sitting-- and those were cheaper to buy than this Maisto SSR is.

No comments: