Monday, April 16, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60

I just can't help it; I love actual honest-to-goodness 4 Wheel Drives; forget your cliche tarted up, leather-lined Chevrolet Tahoe, and to hell with the Ford Explorer you trust so much. While capable enough in the city's malls, and parking lots, these rigs don't stand a chance against old-school stalwarts. First conceived as a rough-n-tough two door in 1951, the four-door didn't come until the FJ55 in 1967. In 1980, the FJ60, which is represented here, bowed. This generation would last until 1990, when it was replaced by the FJ80 in 1991 on our shores.








Like almost all true four wheel drives in Minnesota, this one likely has seen time off-road; either that, or its owner simply slapped on bigger-than-stock-tires on cheapo generic "custom" wheels. The fact alone does not warrant a negative critique; I quite like these, and it's very hard to screw them up. The truck pictured here has single round headlights, making it a pre-1988 truck. To be honest, I kind of like the quad headlight look better, as it looks more utilitarian, and more suited to night-time driving. That's not to say that the pre-facelifts look bad; they don't at all. I'm just not quite sure how I can get used to big headlights up front, versus four small ones. Aside from that minor setback, the FJ60 is my favorite tough Toyota, right behind the generation of Land cruiser that was its successor.
Even though, it's equipped only with straight-six power, these brutes are effortlessly reliable, making the Land Cruiser a top choice for the Australian Outback, Iceland, and in general, off-road enthusiasts all over the world. The fact that it's morphed into a cult vehicle only adds to its appeal. I love these almost as much as first generation Range Rovers, if not more. After-all, what's a badass 4 Wheel Drive if it lacks the ability to leave suburbia?

1 comment:

Alizee said...

Hi All

Thought I would introduce myself - I'm Gwyn and I have a Landcruiser addiction. I have only had it for about a year, but it seems to be making me spend lots of money! Last year I bought a 1989 hj60 diesel - after a bit of fun over last summer I took it off the road with the aim of rebuilding the Landcruiser for a Overland trip from London to Cape Town.