Monday, April 9, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Pontiac Banshee





Every child has their own favorite diecasts--or favorite cars for that matter. Growing up in the 1990s, Hot Wheels did concept car replicas like no other toy company I know--and they were quite good at it. It seems that Hot Wheels were the official concept car replicator of GM; all the memorable Pontiac concept cars have by done by Hot Wheels. One of my favorites--and I can't quite for the life of me figure out why, is the Pontiac Banshee.
Introduced as show car in 1989, the Banshee paved the way for Pontiac styling well into the 1990s; the front end closely resembled that of the third gen Firebird, combined with a slight nod to the upcoming fourth-gen car, and the profile was generic 1980s/1990s "concept car". Out back, the rear end was oddly futuristic; not realistic at all. But as a small boy, I simply didn't care; to me, it looked the business, enough to where other kids in my class thought it was a race car. Good thing I had no idea what the powerplant was--or if there even was one, but I doubt it'd be a fast car, much less by today's standards.
I've had this one for a good.. well, over twenty years. Honestly, it doesn't look terrible, especially considering how much of a bastard I was when it came to my possessions. For about five or six years, I was a destructive ass, and damn near ruined all of my cars--most of which I won't even come close to replacing. Thankfully, I liked this one enough to spare it. And that's a good thing, because there aren't nearly enough of my childhood relics left. I need to preserve this one so it lasts another twenty year. If I don't play with it, and pretend to do "burnouts" and perform "crash tests", then it might last that long--and I hope it does.

No comments: