Sunday, April 29, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Chevrolet Corvette



As a child, I loved the contemporary Corvette, for the same reason I did so the Firebird--it looked cool. As a youngster, I associated the Corvette with all things awesome, even if the car itself was no more cooler than a Camaro. When I was in first grade, a kids' mom had a tan C4 Corvette that I used to get rides home in sometimes. I remember it because it smelled like a combination of burnt cigarettes and stale perfume--not quite a good combination, no? Anyway.. that's not the point. I had a bunch of these cars when I was little-- well, not this exact casting. I had the original Hot Wheels C4 Corvette that was simply titled "1980s Corvette". In 1984, the C4 was introduced, so it could've represented any Corvette from 1984 to 1989. I often called them a vast array of names "85 Corvette", "new Corvette" among many others. Sadly, almost none (except this one) survived my destructive childhood.
This one, I've had for about the same time (I think) as the Peugeot 405 I posted earlier; like it, I baby this one incredibly. I make sure that if there's dust on it, I clean it off. While I don't like the real car very much, I have a strong bond with this lone example of its Hot Wheels brethren. And I hope that does not change.

No comments: