Sunday, April 1, 2012

2012 Minneapolis Auto Show: First Impressions.

As the years go by, I find myself getting desensitized more and more to the arrival of new cars; maybe its the rise of online reveals, only adding to the fact that car companies are new offering styling that is way too predictable. Once a design language comes out for its halo model (or the first model to wear that design language), the rest of the lineup's styling is pretty much predictable.
We've all seen countless spy shots of new models before they come out-- Autoblog, jalopnik, carscoop, and the various car magazines whore these "sneak peeks" out like a cheap waitress. Once someone sees the cammo-covered mules and takes a picture, pretty much the entire automotive landscape is keen on seeing this "new car" ahead of its big autoshow reveal.
Another reason new cars leave me cold is technology-- and the effortless price rise that results. I like the idea that luxury cars are laden with insane amounts of technological advances and extremely high-tech gadgets. But do we really need the same tech in a $35k Ford Fusion that a $65k Lincoln MKwhatever has? Sure, it'd be nice, but if all cars had the same tech, wouldn't the price difference between Ford and Lincoln (and likewise Buick and Cadillac) be redundant?
I'm not saying this is particularly a bad thing by any means, I'm just less excited to read about (and see) new cars than ever before. In 2009, I started caring less and less about new cars-- they were either bland or ugly, as a whole. Sure, there are still new cars that I covet, but most of those tend to fall in the exotic spectrum-- cars such as the Lamborghini Aventador, and Maserati Gran Turismo (yes, I realize the car is approach six years old now, but I love it to bits). On the more practical side of things, there is one particular carmaker which I absolutely adore right now-- and it isn't one the typical car nut would fawn over.

No comments: