Sunday, April 22, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels 1980s Pontiac Firebird




Like thousands of little boys who grew up in the 1990s, Hot Wheels were a big part of my life; for me, though, the ones I cared about most were replicas of the cars of my youth. Ironically, now I dismiss the third-gen Pontiac Firebird almost entirely, but when I was little kid, I still considered it cool. So much, in fact, that I had version of this "iconic" "muscle-car" by Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Majorette, among a host of other makers.
The Hot Wheels represents my favorite rendition of this car by far; although it suffers somewhat from the typical "skinny" problem most Hot Wheels tend to have, it's worlds better than the fat, stubby Matchbox version, and I won't even harp on the Majorette. Finished in this color combo, this model is an exact replica of one of my favorite childhood toys. For whatever reason, I--rather my parents--bought multiple copies after I would lose one for whatever reason.
Now, nearly fifteen years after my last "new" copy got lost, I managed to secure another one. Even though this newly-acquired replica is still not quite "mint", it's fared a ton better than the examples I beat the mercy out of; and I plan not to do so with this one. I plan to keep this in its current state, not only has a reminder of my childhood, but as a reminder that Hot Wheels actually did realistic cars with realistic, non-far-fetched tampos and wheel sizes. To me, that's what Hot Wheels always has been, and because I am recapturing the lost cars of my youth, it's what Hot Wheels will always be.

No comments: