Sunday, April 1, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Fairlane Club Sedan











I usually never seen many cars older than about 1960 here--for good reason. Rust eats a lot of our classics alive. To be honest, I'm amazed that this example is still living; it surely has beat more than its fair share of odds, no? As a relatively young enthusiast always discovering and learning about cars, this Club Sedan is new to me. I knew about the tri-five Chevys, and I have always been somewhat of a Ford fan. So, this discovery was only natural, right?
First introduced in 1955, the Fairlane was Ford's top-most model, and the moniker stayed in production until 1970. Initially, the Fairlane was a two door, but in 1956, a four-door was added. Because this car is a very early Fairlane, and because it's a two door, I will jump to conclusions and say this is a 1955 model; and quite a stunner it is--or it was anyway.
As happens to quite a number of Minnesota cars, this old Ford has let the elements get the best of it. What once was a very prestigious and classy looking two door is now nothing more than someone's weekend project. The paint is at best "alright" and the chrome seems to be pitted to all hell.. But don't worry-- at least its all there should restoration be imminent. The often-gone hubcaps are there, too, though shod with incredibly classless tires. Same goes for the rest of the car; at one point, I'm almost positive that it looked great-- classy, even. Now, though, unless it gets the restoration it so much deserves, I would wager that all hope is lost.
That's a incredible shame because these things simply aren't common in any condition. I do suppose its nice that it isn't a beater slathered in the two tone scheme that really sets these cars off. I just hope that the current owner returns this fifty-seven year old Ford to its rightful condition. Then--and only then--will I be a happy camper.

No comments: