Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2012 Minneapolis Auto Show: Best of Show: Lexus LFA

Okay, so I've whittled through all the hustle-and-bustle that was the 2012 Minneapolis Auto Show. I looked at sports cars, economy cars, fuel-sippers and gas guzzlers: Hyundais, Chevrolets, Nissans, Buicks, BMWs and Audis. I combed my way through, checking off vehicle that I didn't think met my criteria; it had to be new, significant, or it had to move me as an automotive enthusiast in some way or another. Maybe my best of show would be an ultra-luxury car, or maybe it would be a bottom-of-the-barrel car that wasn't; it could be a halo car for a developing marque, or it could be a familiar model with a significant redesign, or maybe it would be none of the above. After comparing and contrasting, and taking in all that I could, there was only one clear choice for my second annual "Best of Show". There were couple cars that came very close to making the cut, but in the end, only one winner could be chosen. I narrowed the three finalists down to the Porsche 991, the Range Rover Evoque, and the Lexus LFA. I nixed the 991 because even though it's a new car, the 911 in general isn't rare in these parts--I'd see enough to where even the newest car would be get boring quite quickly--and Porsche styling is quite predictable, too. If it looks great in pictures, it'll look even more-so in person. The Evoque was out because--well, it's awesome in its own right, but I felt that, like the Porsche-- it didn't move me as much as it probably should have. That left only one car remaining--and what a car it is. I present the Lexus LFA

















While this may be a cliche choice, I felt it was the right one; as a bonafide Japanese car nut, I am always on the search for what may be the next Japanese supercar; in 2009, the Nissan GT-R took this crown, unashamedly, too. With over 500 horses on tap, and all-wheel-drive, the Nissan GT-R defied both physics and logic. Very fast in straight line, and tackling corners like nothing of its mass has any right to do, the GT-R is the postercar for every Japanese car nut. Until now.
The Lexus LFA symbolizes everything Toyota stands for--or used to anyway; it's proof that Toyota does know how to still build awesome cars; a 9000 RPM normally aspirated V10, carbon fiber construction, and each cylinder--not grouping, has it own exposed throttle body--so the engine is pure art. The most amazing thing about this hypercar is not it's $375,000 price-tag, nor is it the fact that only 500 were made-- it's the first production car whose engine spins so rapidly a regular analog tachometer cannot keep up with the RPMs; like an F1 car, the LFA has the ability to reach redline (that's 9100 RPM) in a mere .6 seconds. From 0.
So, if I didn't sit in it, how can I say it wins best of show? Do the math. 500 made. $375,000. I will probably never see one again. Ever. I've been following Toyota's and Lexus' slow rise back to the top of the sports-car chain, and this LFA is the most spectacular result so far--and some say that an ever better one is in the pipeline. I can only hope it retains the qualities that make this one so great. I've been a lifelong supporter of Japanese performance, and the LFA proves that even with focusing on little crapboxes and hybrids, there's still room for the Japanese to pour all their heart and soul into extremely gratifying cars. I just hope they're not all approaching a half-million dollar price of entry. The common man needs a Japanese supercar, and the LFA isn't quite it.

No comments: