Saturday, April 28, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Fairlane 500

There's a never-ending battle between the Chevy and Ford guys over which "ute" looks best. As a guy who's neither a solid Ford nut, or a die-hard Chevy fan, I have to say it comes down to generation. The later '60s, to me, were a rather bland time for American automotive design, at least for companies other than Ford. I quite like the '67/'68 and '69 Mustang, I'm a big fan of the Torino and its variants, and I am staunch fan of the big four-doors as well. I am sort of hit or miss with the Ranchero, but I'm leaning more towards the "like" side of the fence with this '67 model.














1967 was an odd year for the Ranchero; it's the year For made the switch back to a good mid-size vehicle after basing it on the compact Falcon. As a ute fanatic, I think this was the proper choice, especially for people who wanted big-car comfort and a light-truck hauling capabilities. In Australia, this popular format continues to this day, with the ute as a quite popular form of transport down under. Despite overall great appearances, this 1967 Fairlane 500 (ute) has quite a a few minor rust areas, but I won't let those little nicks bring down the vehicle any. It's obviously lived a hard life, as both a work truck and a slight customized daily driver. I love the rolling stock on this one-- to me, Cragars are quite the good choice for any 1960s or 1970s land barge, and the slightly-worn patina makes this one have a "down-home" hotrod feel to it. With a 289 underhood, and Cragars, I don't think this needs anything else to get my seal of approval; it's got power, its got a fine set of wheels, and it has a fairly respectable paint job. I like the color, and the amount of chrome is just right. Not too much, not too little.
I do find it quite sad that this is maybe one of.. I don't know.. six or seven I've ever seen (I'm counting all Rancheros, not just blogged ones) in this rust-hell state, and I wish I could find more. I've been a life-long "ute" fan, and it really is a shame that I don't have more to show for it.

1 comment:

Deano said...

I don't think I've ever seen one of these in my life, so you're doing better than me man. Over here in AU, the bigger utes like the Falcon, Commodore, and even the Land Cruiser and Patrol, are the Aussie man's sports cars, driven as much for play as they are for work.