Monday, April 9, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Grand National










I grew up in the 1990s, and as a result, I have a certain fondness for the cars that roamed the streets when I was growing up. I love the GM G-bodies for this very reason, and it's quite rare to see one still alive in my neck of the woods, let alone a higher-end model. In presentable condition no less. I see base Regals tattered up with big wheels and grotesque paint, and I've seen Grand Nationals done up the same way, unfortunately.
This one was all stock--or maybe not, judging by the exhaust and rear tires. I adore these things in stock form, and even better when they're not totally pampered garage queens. Yes, I realize these are, and yes, I know driving them will "ruin" the value of them. But, I don't care. If you choose to sport an iconic car, you must drive it. And drive it the owner does.
There are paint blemishes, there is orange peel, and the factory decals aren't quite in top shape. I would normally chastize an owner for letting such a rare car go to waste, but it seems as if all the Grand National I see are either trailer queens or so well "restored" that I almost don't care for them. This daily driver example is a gratifying change from the norm, and one that reflects the owner's enthusiasm for what he or she drive.
As far as the car scene is considered, the world needs more car enthusiasts. Not just people with money who buy a collectible car because of its assumed worth, but people who actually drive their cars after they buy them. After all, isn't that what the hobby is about?

No comments: