Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Cutlass











I remember I posted a two-door version of this Cutlass-- two,actually, but never a sedan. As people know, generally the two-door versions are the ones collectors and car enthusiasts go for; the four doors often get forgotten in a field and left to rot. Not this one, though; it appears to be not in rough shape, just daily driver condition.
Obviously the brown color speaks for itself; this was the mid-1970s, and brown was in--for everything. Cars, clothes, furniture, you name, it was brown. What's odd is that normally I take issue with this, but apparently I don't here. I kinda dig it. This Cutlass is not a muscle car-- nor is it designed with any sporting pretensions. It's a rather big car, almost luxury-like in its accomodations. Where the two door could be had in anything from a luxuriously (for an Oldsmobile) appointed Salon, to the performance-geared 442, the sedan was seen as the "middle ground" Oldsmobile. It was offered in ordinary colors, and bought by ordinary people; exactly the type of car I picture a family in 1979 uptown owning. It's not stylish, (or it wasn't considered so when new), it's definitely no standout, and it's not quite a car that Oldsmobile collectors fawn over. So why feature it here?
It's an everyday variation of a forgotten car. I'm not a huge fan of these, but aren't a whole lot left. This one (as I said up top) isn't show quality, but for a four door in a rust-heavy climate, this example looks fairly nice. Would I pay top dollar for it? Probably not. But I do respect it, solely on the basis of serving as someone's daily grind. And from the looks of it, it does that job rather well. I can only hope that this one doesn't go from daily driver status to daily beater status--or worse. Even though I don't really like these, I do not wish for them to go to the crusher, or be left untouched for ages.
While not Oldsmobiles's (or GM's, really) best effort, it does need to be recognized. The Cutlass was a long-standig nameplate that unfortunately had a few duds in its run. But despite their "dud"ness, they do need to be preserved. After all, this is the car that allowed Oldsmobile to continue the Culass nameplate for another twenty five years.

No comments: