Saturday, April 7, 2012

2012 Minneapolis Auto Show: Nissan and Infiniti

Nissan and Infiniti has been my favorite parent/luxury company duo for quite a while; I grew up adoring the Z-cars, and the Infiniti Q45 and Nissan Pathfinder have always been some of my favorite vehicles. Aside from the more mundane offerings, such as the mid-1990s G20, the I30 and a slew of forgettable Nissans, both brands offer an enthusiast-centric lineup. This year, I walked in with rather low hopes. Neither brand has debuted something I went gaga over for at least a few years, so I was sure this year would be a bust. Turns out, I was wrong. Follow me as I take you through my favorites (and not so) from this Japanese wonderbrand.



Since it's introduction, the G35 (and now G37) lineup has been one of my favorites in a long line of "favorite Japanese cars"; for 2012, the only new change is a couple new colors, a new wheel choice, and the option of a G25 sedan. The convertible, picture here, is a G37 and sits likely in the middle of the range. It can be yours for about $45,000, or $10,00 less than a BMW 335i convertible, or $20,000 less than a Mercedes E350 convertible. I still like these, even though they're not quite new anymore; I guess I have to wait a few years to see the all-new G-range.




Next up is the Nissan 370Z, tuned by NISMO; I realize that this is mostly an appearance package mated with some go-fast goodies. The ads make it sound like it's a badass track monster, but really, all I can see happening is the bodykit breaking or cracking under hard cornering and braking. I respect it, sure, but I'd rather have a Hyundai Genesis and leftover money for actual performance mods instead of a hit-or-miss bodykit.



This is the "new" Nissan Pathfinder; its' getting rather old in the tooth, and a new crossover bearing the much-loved name bows next year. Until then, this traditional SUV soldiers on, largely unchanged from the 2005 model that bowed nearly eight years ago. Like the long-dead Mitsubishi Montero, the Pathfinder is no longer a serious competitor as much as it is a dealership paperweight. I hardly ever see these on the road, and at near $48,000 fully optioned, there's a reason why. That kind of coin will net you a much nicer (albeit pre-owned) Range Rover or even a Toyota Landcruiser. If you want a premium SUV, look elsewhere.




This.. is the Nissan Murano convertible; no, I don't quite know why it exists. It doesn't sell very well, even in my yuppie-populated area. I tried to sit in it, and I can't see shit out the back, much less with the roof up. Quite a stunningly stupid car if I say so myself. Apparently, Nissan thinks otherwise; there is a Pathfinder convertible coming soon, too. The only question is why?





I can't lie; the Nissan Armada has always been one of my favorite old-world SUVs. The bargain-basement versions are truly that, though. The uplevel LE and Platinum cost a shitton of money--probably more than an equivalent Chevrolet Tahoe, but its worth it, I suppose. While Nissan isn't quite a prestigious nameplate, it sure has more cache than the name "Tahoe" does here. Even the name "Armada" seems more upscale and luxurious than its main Chevrolet competitor. With the Lincoln Naviagator slowly dying, and the Range Rover out of its price league, the Armada is in a class of its own. For nearly $60K, one can likely do better for the money, but apparently $60k is the new $50k, especially when it comes to premium SUVS.


What we have here is the new Infiniti FX; dare I say, I like ours better. I like the new one fine, it's just I think the first generation pulled off the "daring" styling a bit better. It does have V6 and V8 trimlines still available, though, and it does have its fair share of the styling cues the first one had, but I don't really care for it--at least not in beige. Black or copper would be another story, entirely.



Making an assault on small crossovers everywhere is the Infiniti EX35. I'm not quite sure what to call this; it's too small to be a sport-utility, yet too big to be a sport-wagon. While the rest of the lineup uses the 3.7, a few of their offerings soldier on with the old 3.5 V6. While it's not a bad engine by any means, it's definitely time to move on, and incorporate new engines into the fold. EX37 anyone?The only think that bugs me, is from the rear, it resembles a smaller Porsche Cayenne. While that's no bad thing in itself, the Cayenne isn't exactly a lovable Porsche.

And now for the biggest (and quite possibly, worst) surprise of the entire auto show. I normally quite like what Infiniti have done, but there is one new vehicle the really sets me off. When the brand was launched, their philosophy was to be sportier than Lexus--to infuse driving fun into every car they build. The cars were to be great handlers, interactive steering and firm/racer suspension. Styling, too, was minimalist without looking boring. In 2003, when the G35 came out, Infiniti's mission was to add a rather helpful dose of sportiness into its character--cars like the M45, uplevel Q45, and the much-loved G35 sedan and coupe. Even the SUVs stuck to the formula; the FX was groundbreaking in many ways. Fast, stylish, great steering, and sports-car ride--everything a Lexus SUV was not. Despite their many promises not to be Lexus, Infiniti took the bait, and produced something well-worthy of wearing the famous "L" on the grille. Introducing the Infiniti JX35; one of my least favorite crossovers, and quite possibly my least favorite new car ever.





First off, using the old Murano platform was a dumb idea; the car is dated, and despite a severe restyle, is soon to be replaced. Like the underpinnings, the engine is old, too. The 3.5L V6 has been around since at least 2002, maybe longer. What's the point of introducing an "all-new" car with an old engine-- and it has a very uncompetitive 265 horses-- in front wheel drive form. To top it off, the styling is--well, it's bland at best. To me, this looks enough like a Toyota Highlander that with a quick glance, I thought it was one. It does have the obligatory three rows of seats, and it does have copious amounts of luxurious features, but why? Is Nissan that concerned about losing out market share in an area which they never quite had an interest in? If anything, the JX will turn away potential enthusiasts all the while drawing people who don't know much about cars into the fold. I suppose it's good for money... but talk about shitting on your heritage..

1 comment:

Ashely Redden said...

An auto show is full of surprises! Every car in that event is truly remarkable. Of all the images you’ve provided, what I love the most is the Infiniti JX35. It has this modern look that’s so sleek making it look leaner than its competitors.