Thursday, April 5, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet K/5 Blazer








Lately, I haven't featured much in the way of proper "utility" vehicles, so I'd like to rectify that. For years, I've always thought the full-size GM truck styling looks great when applied to an SUV. Apparently, I'm not alone, because lately I'm noticing a slight resurgence in the classic GM SUVs. Be it a Suburban, a Jimmy, or a first gen K/5, these big GM brutes are becoming--not necessarily more common, just I'm noticing more and more in streetable condition, versus clapped out piles that I saw even a few years prior.
While the later trucks definitely look good to wide margin, this generation is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I am on the former, and have been always on that side. From the time I was a little boy, I always wondered what these were, and now that I know the answer, I'm saddened to realize the GM will never again make something like this. Granted, the two door SUV market is all but dead, but it definitely produced some amazing results.
To me, these K/5s look the best; yes, the newer ones (1973-91, (1992-99) are nice, but when I think of a K/5 I think of these; despite the generic white off-road wheels, this example is still fairly decent. Sadly, though, this particular truck packs a slight hint of rust, and there's probably more where that came from, too. Aside from the rockers, this truck appears pretty straight. The chrome is pitted, but still in acceptable nick, and the brown and white color combination just seems classy here; it looks so right. And it needs stock white steelies with hubcaps to match the paint job.
I wish more of these were saved; there's never been enough to go around, and with even the new K5s disappearing, it only makes sense that value of the truck that started it all would only go up. This one deserves to preserved-- or at least restored back to original condition.

No comments: