Monday, April 23, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Bronco

There was a time when "SUVs" were seriously meant for terrain a car couldn't touch--or wasn't supposed to, anyway. Vehicles like the original Willys Jeep, and the original Land Rover--but Ford played a part, too. Long before the big, brash, full-sized brute that bore the name throughout the 1980s until its 1996 death, the Brono nameplate was fastened to a little trucklet that truly deserved the name. Originally, a relatively lightweight, rock-crawling puppy, the original Bronco was the stuff off-roaders--and farmers loved. Ability, agility, and reliability. But now they're far and few between. Why? Like most vehicles of the 1960s and 1970s, rustproofing practices rendered vehicles hit-or-miss when it comes to standing the test of time. I have seen a small number of these first-gen trucks, and this example is the most done-up one I've seen. And that's not really a good thing.










The first-generation Bronco was produced from 1966 to 1978, and from what I understand, the convertible was discontinued early on, making this yellow beast a fairly early example. I usually critique the body, and let readers know my opinion on its overall condition, including rust, bondo, or whatever else hampers the truck. Here, though, I'm going to be somewhat blunt; this is the first completely modified first-generation Bronco I've encountered, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Sure, the idea of making an already capable vehicle even more-so is enticing indeed, but at what cost?
I know I haven't really talked about my love/hate relationship with off-road rigs, but I have strong (mixed) feelings about many of these big-tired pavement queens. The idea of making an off-road vehicle perform better off the road is one thing, but spending all that money making it look the part and never doing anything with it is almost what I would label as "rice". No, not in the traditional sense, but if an owner goes through all the necessities of modifying a vehicle, and never using it.. that's pointless.
I honestly respect the owner for pouring his time and a slight modicum of effort, but man.. at least be somewhat original with the modifications. The hood scoop taken off a late '60s Mustang or other Ford looks.. well it doesn't look right. Obviously I am torn on the lift, but for the most part, I don't completely despise the idea. At least it's not one of the obscenely garish six to eight inch "compensation" jobs--I'll at least give the owner that. The paint scheme, again, leave me torn. I dislike yellow except in rare occasions, and here is one occasion where the owner almost overdid it; for me, the black trim, wheels and whatnot balance out the yellow quite nicely. If the chrome was still in place.. yeah.. it simply wouldn't like right.
In the end, this could've been a lot worse. I don't like the way this truck is currently done up, but I like seeing something different when it comes to classic Broncos. All the hard work could've gone to restoring this one, but I do give the owner a bit of credit for at least keeping this in good condition. Now, if he would've turned it back to stock--then, and only then, would this example leave me quite speechless.

No comments: