Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP








Growing up in the 1990s, I have a certain fondness for cars from my youth, and this Grand Prix is no exception; this is honestly nothing more than a guilty pleasure posting, and it's my birthday, so why not? I have loved this generation Grand Prix for as long as I can remember, and only the two door ones, and more specifically, the ones with the "B4U" kit seen here. This is a very early 1991 car, and it's essentially the same car as the much-rarer Turbo Grand Prix on the outside; the hood vents, the fender "'flares", and the spoiler are all the same as the Turbo. The mechanics are quite different, however. Underhood, the GTP sports the 3.4L V6 mated to either a quite-rare 5 spd stick, or a slightly more common 4 spd auto. With either 210 (stick) or 200 horses on tap, it seemed to be a sleeper-- kind of. These cars look fast-- in a 1990s way, and most enthusiasts know there is potential here. It's no drag car, but it certainly isn't slow, either.
The paint and body on this poor GTP suffers from being left outside. While there's no obvious rust, the painted over badges suggest that this car probably has been in an accident at some point in its life. Even on the surface, things are a bit rough. The paint, particularly on the plastic ground effect is faded and sunwarped, though it's probably not as bad as California vehicle would be. The front bumper, too, appears to be missing its entire lower section, and hopefully the owner has a replacement at the ready. With a few minor touch-ups, this Grand Prix GTP will likely be as good as new-- bonus points if you can spot the related Regal in the background that needs a hell of a lot more work!
I adore these cars, and I don't see enough of them around. As these approach "classic" status, I hope more of these--especially the two doors--will be saved. They're starting to get thin out here, and I'm confident that there are more hiding in the city that I haven't found yet. Ii just hope I can do so before they all rust away.

No comments: