Thursday, April 5, 2012

2012 Minneapolis Auto Show: Chrysler and Fiat

I first went into the Chrysler display not knowing quite what to expect; sure, they've made strides in both build quality, and attention to detail, but what does that matter if the overall appearance isn't worth a second glance. Fear not, it seems like Chrysler really is riding the wave of success. For 2012, a multitude of new trim-lines debuted for a number of cars; Instead of covering the entire Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Fiat and Ram lineup, I focused on standouts for me. Since a majority of Chrysler's goods were introduced last year as 2011 models, I stayed away from those this year. Instead, I turned my attention to the most impressive cars in the group.









New this year were the SRT8 cars they've always tickled my fancy a lot more than they should. For some reason, I am drawn to the higher-echelon of the domestic V8 supersedan group-- for 2012, though, that only consists of the Chrysler LX cars. First introduced in 2005, the 300C SRT8 has been a mainstay in Chrysler's showroom ever since its introduction. For 2012, Chrysler's most expensive (and fastest) four door has been given a healthy dose of European flair. Gone are the blingy wheels, and random chrome bits of the previous car; in their place stand a kicktail spoiler, 19" wheels, and a rather sexy front lip kit. I think its best angle is the front, which is odd because that's what I hated most on the previous car. Inside, strides have definitely been made; no longer feeling like a rental car, the new SRT8 exudes quality like no Chrysler before it, and it now can sit comfortably in its price class. I suppose if you're chasing buyers of second-hand BMW M5s and Mercedes E-class AMGs, a well put-together interior would help--and it does. The cheap barren dash is no more; the hard, plastic seats are gone, too. In their place is a passenger compartment that wouldn't look out of place in a BMW or Mercedes. Wait, yes it would; it doesn't have enough buttons.








I've always been a few of the new Challenger. In base trim, yes, it does look horrendous--I won't deny that. For 2012, the new Yellow Jacket model is offered. What is it? Like almost all the special editions up to this point, this is based on the Challenger SRT8; same engine, same transmission, same interior, but it's got a nifty (and I'll be honest-- somewhat gimmicky) paint scheme with black accents. I know it's not technically a new car, but this is the best Challenger that was presented-- and it presented itself well. It even had a proper "pistol grip" shifter, too. Now only if it wasn't obscenely priced. At least it isn't tacky like 90% of the Camaros that Chevrolet showed.











There was an extremely close race for Best of Show; I've always been a secret fan of the Chrysler LX cars when in SRT trim. I love the first generation SRT-8 Charger. In black, it hides its bulk quite well, and the gigantic 20 inch rollers seem to fit quite well. Backed up by a raging 425 horse 6.1 Hemi, performance was nothing to sneeze at. For 2012, the same formlua returns. This time, a 6.4L "392" Hemi propels the beasts. 470 horses, $50,000, 170 MPH+ top end. A cut-price E63? Not quite, but with the $50k you save off the MSRP of Mercedes' fast sedan, I'm sure one could make his Charger SRT-8 handle like one.










One of the most significant cars in the Chrysler-Fiat area was the Dart; I know many baby-boomers are whining about the name, but I like it. It's a small city car that competes with the likes of the ill-styled Fiesta sedan, and I think the Nissan Versa. I quite like the styling, espeically the full-width taillamp panel. I'm not too keen on the headlamps, and the whole front fascia reminds me of a Fiat design with a silly little Dodge grille shoved in between the headlamps. Kinda fitting, since it is a Fiat. I hope it does well--Chrysler needs it.




The "major" Jeep debut was the Grand Cherokee SRT-8; unfortunately, it doesn't look as mean as the first generation. Sure, it has more power, better grip, and it has the same type of body mods the last one did. Sadly, though, this doesn't look very special. It took me a while to realize that this was the SRT-8. Bad move, Jeep, bad move. I'd rather have the old one. By a large margin.




For years,Jeep aficionados have been crying out for the return of the Scrambler-- or something like it, anyway. To date, this new kit, called the Jeep JK-8 is the closest thing yet. Since this is a kit, the buyer has to supply his or her own Wrangler Unlimited. Since it's a kit, I'm sure hundreds of mods for the JK Wrangler will bolt this as well, making the idea of anything from a mild mall-crawler to a tube-framed trail rig a reality. Problem is, at $15,000 plus the cost of a Wrangler Unlimited, this kind of "new Jeep" doesn't come cheap.








The big news at Fiat this year was the US introduction of the Abarth-tuned Fiat. For those not in the know, Abarth is Fiat's tuning branch, much like Nismo and Mazdaspeed. The 500 Abarth has the special paint, beefier wheels and tires, and it's turboed. At $22,000, it isn't quite the cheapest hot hatch out there, but with 160 horses from a turboed 1.4L Multiair, the 500 Abarth has decent tuning potential. If stock isn't quite your cup of tea, Mopar and Abarth will both have a plethora of accessories soon. And the best part? 500 Abarth don't command Mini prices either, so sticker shock shouldn't be a worry.


Along with the new and exciting cars in the Chrysler area, there was this loneFiat 500 special random one. I''m not exactly sure what makes this car quite special, but I can't say I'm a fan of it-- too much white, so much that it looks cheap instead of upscale.

No comments: