Sunday, June 10, 2012

New Cars 2012: Nissan Leaf










I have always been somewhat weary of "electric" cars. For the most part, people misuse the term, and refer to hybrids as electric cars. It appears Nissan beat Chevrolet's Volt to market--and now more makers are joining the electric fray. While Chevrolet's Volt has been quite successful (I've seen probably ten or fifteen by now), Nissan's Leaf has been less so. To date, the only ones I've seen are at dealers.
Is it because the Leaf isn't practical? I'd say no; it's got five seats, it's a hatchback, and being a Nissan, it's going to be reliable. Leather is an option, it does come in funky, youthful colors (the Volt doesn't), but it does have two critical flaws. The first thing that lets it down is the range, and how its charged; unlike the Volt, the Leaf requires major modifications to one's house and electrical system. On top of the $35,000 price of the Leaf, an additional $2500 is used to buy the charger, plus the cost of modifications to your house--for nearly $40,000, you are blessed with a vehicle that cannot go more than 100 miles on a single charge, and has to be charged at specific stations-- meaning the Leaf is primarily suited for in-town driving only. The second thing that lets it down is styling. While the Prius is common now, it certainly wasn't when it was new. Same story with Nissan's Leaf; I don't find them ugly, but I know more than a few people who do. The Volt at least looks like a normal Chevrolet to the untrained eye.
I don't hate the Leaf--infact I quite like the idea of more and more alternative-energy vehicles. Since the Leaf is Nissan's first foray into the alt-energy market, I'll cut them some slack. The next generation is hopefully going to be better--if Nissan does indeed make one, considering how poor initial sales are right now. I know which alt-energy vehicle I'd buy if I had to, and it wouldn't be the Leaf.

1 comment:

Used car reviews said...

Wow its rocking car. I really like Nissan beat Chevrolet because its looks fantastic. In this post very nicely describe each and every part such as it's got five seats, it's a hatchback, and being a Nissan, it's going to be reliable. Leather is an option, it does come in funky, youthful colors, but it does have two critical flaws.