Monday, June 25, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: MGA 1600 hardtop

As I can attest, each day brings new surprises, and new cars. Every day, there are places I head off to in hopes of finding that day's "prized" find. Be it a rubber bumper MG, or an Austin Healey 100-6, British cars are now more appealing to me than ever. Growing up, I was never all that interested in British roadsters, but as I matured, so did my taste in cars.
The car that did it for me was the Triumph TR-6. From there, I began delving myself further and further into reading material that focused on England's best; I started watching more and more "Wheeler Dealers" too, and found myself liking the British car scene more than its American counterpart.
Over the last few years, I have gained great appreciation of roadsters of all walks of British life, and I have to say that MG is now one of my favorite makers, and the MGA eclipses the MGB in terms of my favorite vehicle from that group.











Parked outside of Quality Coaches, I've seen this red one before; this is the first time I've had the opportunity to shoot it in depth, and man, am I glad I took the opportunity. This little guy is awesome! I normally detest red cars but not in this case! A rare time when red does indeed work, this is. All the chrome is intact, too, and it helps set off the red-- I strongly feel that a black MGA wouldn't have the same effect on me. It helps that the chrome is in great shape, as are the factory wire wheels. The luggage rack is in astonishing shape as well, ensuring that this classic MGA is owned by a careful enthusiast.
If I had an MGA, this is exactly how mine would look-- well, minus the luggage rack. To me, having a luggage rack--while useful-- brings down the joy of this car. This is not a camping or vacation car; this is a car you buy to drive. If you desire a camper, get one, but don't try to turn an MGA into one. It won't work.
I'm glad I spotted this little MGA when I did, because I haven't seen it since; well spotted, and well shot, this little British roadster certainly my day!

No comments: