Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford F-100

Like yesterday's post, I mentioned that it takes quite a bit to get me to stop for an older Ford pickup--especially this generation. Produced from 1967 to 1972, this generation--like its successors--was available in a multitude of cab, body, and engine configurations. The base engine was a crappy six pot, and up to a 390 cube V8 could be had. This 1969 (I think) example is one of my favorite Ford bodystyles ever--a shortbed, flareside, single cab. Like the Dodge I showed yesterday, this poor thing suffers from copious amounts of frame rot, but doesn't display much in the way of bodily harm-- except up close.







From afar, this F-100 looked like simply a horrible body lift gone wrong; big lift, stock (or possibly smaller) tires and wheels, and a heap of space between the tires and tops of the fenders. What's even scarier is the suspension setup; from what I can see, straight axles with extremely stretched coils--not good for the street, let alone serious off-road use. It doesn't help matters that this poor truck is more bondo than factory paint, and what paint remains is likely a sprayjob. The chrome is lacking-- its there, but its been pitted almost beyond savable condition.
I don't really have any hard feelings for this truck either way; I never really liked this generation as a whole, and I certainly don't like this one. I would say that this purple beast might make a good parts truck.. but what parts on this are still good? As far as I'm concerned, the junkyard is this appropriate place for this neighborhood relic.

No comments: