Sunday, June 10, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Ferrari FF




Like many kids growing up as car enthusiasts, I developed a passion for Hot Wheels, and Ferrari. Over the course of my childhood, I quickly found a favorite car, and a favorite Hot Wheels--the Ferrari F40. Hot Wheels introduced their F40 along the time the real car was introduced, and they did so with the F355, the F50, the Enzo, and now there's this-- the Ferrari FF. As a Ferrari nut, and an avid Hot Wheels collector, I had to snap one up.
I applaud Hot Wheels' efforts in this replica. The side profile looks dead on; the side air intakes on the front fenders are nicely replicated, as is the odd curvature of a body-line that distinguishes the lower portion of the car from the roof. Up front, the detailing is quite good for a small-scale car. The odd grille and lower air intake are done well, and would look better on a darker car. The only downside of the front is the ill-fitting headlight tampos. Out back, the story is a bit different. There really isn't much to see. Yes, the taillights resemble the actual units, and the quad exhaust looks reminiscent of the real deal, but really detailing is sparse; its almost as if Mattel engineers rushed this replica to market.
But it's a Ferrari, and it's a Hot Wheels, so I had to have it. Why didn't I pick up a red one? I hate red cars if I can help it; the FF--along with many other post-modern Ferraris looks dowdy in red--almost more of a lookatme car than it should be. I also have a thing for silver or gray replicas. I love the FF (even though most people don't), and I am quite happy with the overall effort put in here.

No comments: